For your portal's internal catalog, you can require that learners request enrollment from an admin or manager instead of enrolling directly.
Catalog features are available to all customers.
See Enrollments: manage enrollment requests from learners for background.
Note: LearnUpon is refreshing its catalog display. See Announcement: LearnUpon Redesign Guide.
See Internal catalog redesign: components in this article, for a preview of the catalog design. Contact your Customer Success Manager to ask for access to the updated looks and layout.
A learner's enrollment request in a course
- From main navigation, select Catalog.
- Select a course. The action button is Request, instead of the default Enroll.
- In the Approval Required dialog, select Request Enrollment.
- The course's thumbnail changes to indicate you have requested enrollment.
The following screenshot shows the course which requires enrollment request in the catalog.
The following screenshot shows the confirmation dialog.
The following screen shot shows the course thumbnail, while waiting for an approval.
Learners receive email notification of approval, or rejection, when the approver reviews their request.
Access permissions: settings that affect how courses appear in the catalog
Admins turn on the internal catalog for use by logged-in learners.
Admins can add categories to a portal to support searching for courses in the portal.
Admins, instructors and managers with instructor permissions:
- add courses to the internal catalog
- can tag their courses with categories
- can require enrollment requests from learners, to manage enrollment manually
Alternately, they can limit access to courses in the catalog to certain groups.
The course recommender is available as part of the internal catalog.
- Add courses and learning paths to the catalog
- Enrollments: manage enrollment requests from learners
- Categories: create and assign searchable categories for your portal
- Catalog feature: course recommender
Internal catalog redesign: components
LearnUpon is refreshing the internal catalog and interface for learners. See Announcement: LearnUpon Redesign Guide.
The internal catalog displays courses to learners with their thumbnail image, description, and course length. LearnUpon flags up courses with specific statuses to help the learner remember their previous actions.
Learners can sort courses by release date, or by alphabetical order.
The options to enroll or request enrollment depend on the course status.
From the catalog the learner can:
- start a self-enroll course
- request enrollment or cancel an enrollment request, if required
- return to a course in progress
See Learner view: navigating LearnUpon for background about the portal search engine.
The following screenshot shows the top row of a sample catalog with 1 course labelled In Progress and 1 course labelled Pending request.
The catalog uses the same layout as for courses to display learning paths, with the same search and filtering options.
The following screenshot shows 2 sample learning paths in a catalog, with 1 Enrolled enrollment status label.
Sessions refer to instructor-led training (ILT) sessions: sessions where an instructor meets with learners in person, or in online sessions using webinars.
The following screenshot shows Catalog > Sessions, to access courses with ILT sessions open for self-registration.
Note: When a learner is already enrolled in a session, the session enrollment appears in Dashboard > My Live Sessions.
A course which has lots of enrollments and completions on a portal is offered to newest learners. Once a learner enrolls and completes some courses, the recommender can refine its recommendations and offer courses closer to the learner’s needs.
The following screenshot shows Recommended Courses for a new learner in a portal.
Filter the catalog display
Learners can filter the display to browse content released at a specific date range, or by category.
The following screenshot shows the Filter Catalog dialog and its options, including:
- Released After and Released Before, for choosing a calendar date
- Show with a choice of All Courses, or Available for Enrollment
Courses that require enrollment requests display a Request button, rather than a Start or Enroll button.
- From Catalog > Courses or Catalog > Learning Paths, the learner can view the courses available.
- For the course required, the learner selects Request.
- From the Approval Required dialog that opens, the learner selects Request Enrollment.
- LearnUpon displays the Pending Request enrollment status label on the course.
LearnUpon sends the request to the learner’s group manager, or to a portal admin.
The following screenshot shows a sample course with enrollment status label of Pending Request.
After approval, the enrollment status label changes to Enrolled.