Upload Tin Can (xAPI) content as zipped files, to provide interactive onscreen content for your training modules.
Tin Can (xAPI) modules are available to all customers.
LearnUpon supports LRS (Learning Record Store) tracking through an integration, so you can record learning statuses of Tin Can modules. Contact the Support team to enable this option on your portal.
As best practice LearnUpon recommends: make an "upload" copy of each Tin Can zipped file, to use in LearnUpon. Keep your original Tin Can files separate, in case you need to revise or edit them.
After you upload your zipped file, LearnUpon combines your Tin Can file with its own code, to work in the user interface. You can't download the Tin Can file again to edit it, or use in another LMS.
Uploading zipped files
Size limit for a compressed file is 1.5Gb (gigabytes). See File types supported in course modules: overview.
- From main navigation go to Courses > your course name.
- From secondary navigation tab select Content.
- From the course content page, select Add SCORM or Tin Can > Upload File.
- Choose the Tin Can .ZIP file from your drive. Encoding your file takes a few minutes.
- Save to return to the content page.
Edit Tin Can settings
For Module Info, the only required field is the module Title. All other entries are optional.
The following screen shot shows the Edit menu option on an uploaded module.
- From the course Content page, on the Tin Can module, select More > Edit.
- Enter any changes to the Module Info card for:
- Select Add Description to add text or images: learners can view this description before they start their course.
- Advanced Settings:
- My Tin Can module is exam based: when enabled, the application tracks and grades your learners as they complete their courses. Tin Can (xAPI) determines the pass or fail of an exam: no pass or fail mark required.
- Number Attempts/Completions Allowed: By default, LearnUpon allows unlimited attempts to complete a module. You can limit the attempts permitted.
- Overwrite previous attempt? and Only overwrite if better than previous? These options determine if the application retains the most recent score, or only the best score.
- Window Options control the appearance of the course window, and its behavior. Edit these settings if you have graphics which require a specific window size:
- Window width in pixels (Default is the browser window width.)
- Window height in pixels (Default is the browser window height.)
- Open the module in a new window/tab: by default, the module opens in a new window or tab. You can turn off this setting.
- Save to finish.
The following screenshot shows Advanced Settings for Tin Can modules.
Learner experience: accessing Tin Can (xAPI) modules through Salesforce
When you run LearnUpon courses containing xAPI modules from Salesforce, LearnUpon ignores the xAPI setting to open the module in a new window. LearnUpon launches the course in your current window to prevent a navigation dead end in the xAPI module.
If your learners have issues with using xAPI modules through Salesforce, contact the support team. See Find help: access the Support desk.
Set up LRS integration for Tin Can modules
Once the integration is available on your portal, complete the setup with your API URL and login details.
- From main navigation go to Settings > Integrations > LRS / Tin Can (xAPI) Integration.
- Select Enable LRS Tracking for your Tin Can Statements?
- Enter the target API URL for LRS tracking information.
- Enter your API Login and API Password.
- Save to finish.
The following screenshot shows the LRS integration settings.