Learn the basics of the LearnUpon user interface (UI). Administrators, managers and instructors see a different layout from learners.
Navigation features are available to all customers.
See Learner view: navigating LearnUpon about the learner interface.
Tip: see LearnUpon's Web accessibility statement: WCAG 2.0 and 508 standards.
As an admin, instructor or manager, your access to features depends on
- your user type
- the optional permissions associated with your user type
- the portal level: top-level portal or sub-portal
The primary navigation is anchored to one side of the screen. The menu shows related features grouped together, with most frequently used features at the top.
For menu display you can choose between text and icon, or icon only, by selecting the collapsed menu, aka the hamburger icon.
The following screenshot shows a sample primary navigation in a top-level portal. It includes the hamburger icon in the top bar, and the menu options with both text and icon. This sample portal doesn’t use eCommerce.
Secondary navigation appears in the top bar. The options change depending on which page you're using.
The following screenshot shows part of an admin’s Courses > my course name page, with the secondary navigation options highlighted. The active option, Info, is underlined.
The actions menu shows you what you can do from a given feature page.
The following screenshot shows the action menu available to an admin, from a course Info page.
Search and icons
The top bar provides the internal Smart Search, and portal-wide features including:
- Portal actions tracker: admin view only. The tracker shows the status of actions that take variable amounts of time on the portal like group enrollments, and starting or changing dynamic rules. See Portal actions tracker in this article
- Messages: automated notifications, and messages from other users. See Send a message or an announcement
- Support Center & Knowledge Base: top-level portal admins only. Contact Support, log a ticket, and access the Knowledge Base. See Find help: access the Support desk
- Switch Portals: when you have multiple portals, select the switcher icon to navigate between them
- User Settings: view your own profile and access settings. See Users: the basic profile
The following screenshot shows the icons as they appear for a top-level admin.
The search engine works within your portal. It includes default filters shown by icons. The filters available depend on your permissions:
- Administrators: can search by courses available to edit, users, or groups
- Managers: can search by courses they have learners enrolled on, or users
- Instructors: can search by courses they have access to
- Learners: can search by courses they are enrolled on and (if available) learning paths they are enrolled on, the course catalog, or resources
Portal actions tracker
Check the status of actions or tasks that take variable amounts of time on the portal like group enrollments, and starting or changing dynamic rules. You access the tracker from its icon in your top navigation bar.
This feature is available to admins only.
The tracker is view only, to provide up to date information. You can’t access the features directly from this page.
The following screenshots show an example of a dynamic rule immediately after starting, and while in progress.
When you open LearnUpon, your home page is your dashboard.
Admin dashboards feature menus with quick links for routine tasks. You can customize these menus to list only the tasks you perform often. See Portal setup: admin dashboards and widgets.
Learner, manager and instructor dashboards feature course information, and you can customize banners to feature courses or internal messages.