LearnUpon makes admin and in-house support tasks easier with the proxy user feature, sometimes called "impersonate". Admins can log in as learners and experience the learner’s portal directly, to help resolve problems with learner accounts.
This feature is available to all customers.
Proxy user: overview
You need to turn the feature on in Settings to start using it.
This feature lets admins access a learner’s portal, and experience a specific learner’s point of view, to help troubleshooting with accounts.
In LearnUpon the admin can log in as a named learner, rather than a generic “learner view” of LearnUpon. They can access the learner’s profile, courses, and content, to help resolve problems that learner is experiencing.
When the admin logs in as a learner:
- a banner appears onscreen to show that they are in a learner’s account
- the learner gets an internal notification, stating that an admin is logged in to their account
LearnUpon tracks the admin’s actions the same way it does for a learner. For example, if an admin started a course or enrolled in a course while logged in as a learner, LearnUpon’s records can show the admin’s actions.
When the admin logs out of the learner’s account, the learner gets another notification to mark the end of the session.
If an admin logs out of the learner’s account while using the proxy feature, the session ends. The admin can’t return to the same session.
The feature has a 30 minute limit: after 30 mins LearnUpon logs the admin out of the learner’s account.
This feature doesn’t generate new active users (AU) on your portal.
For portals that require learners to agree to terms: the learner must complete the terms agreement before requesting support. See Portal setup: add terms for your portal.
If the learner has not agreed to the terms, the admin can't access their account.
Admins can log in as learners, but not as managers or instructors.
The feature is available to all admins, for the portals where they have permissions.
Limits to admin access
An admin, while logged in as a learner, cannot:
- view the learner’s messages
- access the portal switcher
- view forums or forum messages
- generate new 2FA authentication codes on the learner’s behalf
Turn on the proxy feature
After the Customer Success Manager or support team adds the feature to your portal, an admin needs to turn on the feature, and its associated notifications.
- From main navigation go to Settings > Users > General Settings.
- From Proxy user, select Enable admin to log in as a learner.
- When available, select Enable login/logout notification.
- Save to finish.
The following screenshot shows Proxy user with its default setting. The notifications option appears after you select Enable admin to log in as a learner.
Log in as a learner
- From main navigation go to Users > learner name.
- Select More (aka 3-dot menu) > Log in as.
Alternately: select learner name to open their profile. From Actions select Log in as.
LearnUpon opens the learner’s view, with a banner that reads:
You’re logged in as learner name. Please make sure to switch back to your admin login when you have finished. Switch back to admin
The following screenshot shows the banner visible to the admin, while accessing a learner account.
- To finish select Switch back to admin.
- (Optional): in the dialog that opens, enter a short message to the learner to explain your test steps. Select Record to send the message, or Skip to leave blank.