Understand how dynamic rules treats users created from different sources. Synchronize users to apply rule criteria consistently.
Dynamic rules are available to all customers.
Grouping users automatically vs manually: overview
LearnUpon uses Automatically and Manually to describe how you add users to groups.
Automatically: when you create and apply dynamic rules to add users to groups - see Dynamic rules: group users by their custom user data or email domain
Manually: when you use 1 of 3 paths to add users directly to groups:
- using the user interface, one by one - see Create groups, and assign users to groups
- during batch user upload of a CSV file using group_sync or assign_groups option - see Upload users by batch CSV file
- through the API using group_sync or assign_groups option - see API guide
As a result:
- automatically added users aren't affected by group_sync or assign_groups; dynamic rules assigns them to a group
- manually added users aren't affected by dynamic rules; group_sync or assign_groups assigns them to a group
This distinction is important: if you add users to a group manually, they remain in the group, even if they do not meet the dynamic rules for the group.
The manual option provides an override, so you can place particular users in a group even if their custom user data or email domain doesn't match the group.
A user added manually to one group is still subject to dynamic rules for other groups.
To apply the dynamic rules to all users the same way, you can synchronize your users' statuses, from Manually to Automatically assigned.
Synchronize users' assigned status from Manually to Automatically
- From main navigation go to Groups > my group.
- From secondary navigation go to Users.
- From the action menu select Sync all users.
- In the dialog that opens, select Sync to confirm.
The application synchronizes your list of users: this process can take a few minutes. You can safely close the page.
LearnUpon sends an automated email confirming these changes when complete.
The following screenshot shows a mixed group of users, with the action menu highlighted.
Change users' assigned status from Automatically to Manually
In some settings, you need "just one or two" users assigned manually, when they are currently assigned automatically through the dynamic rules.
To change individual users' statuses from Automatically to Manually assigned:
- From main navigation go to Users > individual user.
- From the user's profile, select Groups from secondary navigation.
- In Groups Membership, select X in the specific group name to remove the user from the group.
- Save to confirm, but do not leave the page.
- In Groups Membership, enter the group name, to add the user into the group again.
- Save to finish.
In the group's Users page, confirm that your individual user's status is now shown as assigned Manually.
Note: This status change step doesn't affect any courses the users have Not Started or In Progress. If you manually remove a user from a group, you need to manually unenroll them from their courses.