Use coupon codes to manage access to free courses. In the coupon, you can set a usage limit or an expiry date, or both.
eCommerce is available to all customers.
From your online store, you can offer individual courses for free, by setting the course fee at 0.00 in your currency.
A course coupon lets you limit the number of learners who can access a free course. The coupon can limit usage, or have an expiry date, or both. You add the coupon requirement to the course's Sales settings.
This procedure has 2 parts:
- create a coupon for 100% discount
- add the coupon requirement, to access the course
To set limits on free courses through coupons, contact the Support team, to turn on this setting in your portal.
To access coupon options, you need to turn on eCommerce features on your portal. See Collection: eCommerce to get started.
Working with coupon expiry dates
For coupons with expiry dates:
- a coupon expires at the start of the expiry date, rather than the end. For example: a coupon with Expiry date of 31 December expires at 00:01 on 31 December, rather than 23:59 on 31 December
- the coupon is valid according to the date and time zone of the account that created it
When you create a coupon, it takes its date and time reference from your account, the time zone you use. As a result, the coupon expires in the first minute of the date specified, in the time zone you use.
To create coupons for use across a number of time zones, like across Europe or across the continental US, look carefully at your time zone, and consider when you want it to expire for its users.
Tip: to make a coupon valid up to and including a specific date like 31 December, set the coupon to expire on 1 January.
Set up a course coupon for 100% discount
See eCommerce: add coupons to a course or portal and follow the instuctions for creating a course coupon. For a free course coupon:
- set Discount at 100%
- set Usage Limits (number of coupon uses) or Expires (calendar), or both
The following screenshot shows the Create Coupon dialog for 100% discount, for 200 uses, with an expiry date.
Set the course as sellable, and requires coupon
See eCommerce: make a course available for sale for steps to put a course on sale in your store.
To limit free courses to coupon holders:
- From main navigation go to Courses > your course name.
- From Info select Sales.
- In Sales Settings select:
- Course is sellable?
- Coupon code is required to enroll on this free course?
- Save to finish.
The following screenshot shows the Sales Settings options.
- eCommerce: make a course available for sale
- eCommerce: create coupons for a course or learning path, or for a portal
- eCommerce: allow bulk purchase of courses
- eCommerce: create and sell course bundles