Add new and modify existing badges in each of your portals. Customize the badge icon, and decide many points the learner receives. You can set points per activity, and points per badge.
Gamification is available to all customers.
See Gamification overview: plan levels and badges for a broad review of the feature.
Download the sample badge selection from the end of this article to start your gamification project.
To create your own badges, use either a PNG or JPEG image, up to 360px x 360px.
Create a new badge
- From main navigation go to Settings > My Portal > Gamification.
- Select Badges to view the badges available in the portal.
- Select Create New Badge and choose the following options:
- Badge icon: Choose an existing badge icon, or upload your own
- Badge Name: enter the name that the learner sees on the My Achievements section of the learner dashboard
- Badge Type: choose from Activity Badge, Learning Badge, or Level Badge
- Value: for Activity and Learning badges, assign the number of points to award for the badge. Not applicable for Level badges
- Select Add to finish your badge.
The following screenshot shows the Create Badge dialog.
Users receive learning badges when they complete a course or learning path successfully.
You can choose if learners receive a badge for achieving a specific grade in the assessment or exam, or by completing the course.
For courses with exams or other modules with evaluations, you can award learning badges for achieving a particular score. This score can be different from the score required to pass the course.
To add a course learning badge:
- From main navigation go to Courses > your course > Learning Badges.
For learning paths, navigate to Courses > Learning Paths > your learning path > Learning Badges.
- Select Add Learning Badge. and then Add Learning Badge.
- For Badge awarded: search for existing learning badges in your portal.
- Select one of Achieved by score or Achieved on completion.
- If you use scores, in Achieved if overall score is: enter the score required
- Save to finish.
The following screenshot shows an example of adding a badge to a course, based on score.
Award activity badges when learners complete one of the following specific activities:
- Starts or resumes a course
- Purchases a course
- Enrolls on a course through the catalog
- Views or downloads a resource from the library
- Earns an external training credit, on portals using associations
See Associations: record and self-award credits for external training for more details about self-awarded credits.
You can use the default badges, or you can create custom badges for your portal, and associate them with these activities. You set, or edit, the point values for activity badges when you create the badge.
To set activity badges:
- From main navigation go to Settings > My Portal > Gamification > Activities.
- Select the activity to assign a badge.
- In Badge awarded for this activity, enter the name of the new badge to select it. This field accepts only 1 name at a time.
- Toggle Enable to activate the badge.
- Save to finish.
Note: You can edit activity badges at any time but changes do not apply retroactively to learners who already hold the badges. Changes to badges apply only to the learners who earn those badges after your edit.
Award level badges to learners, after they earn a specific number of points. Learners are enrolled on level 1 and can reach up to level 5, by earning points through learning and activity badges.
To set level badges:
- From main navigation go to Settings > My Portal > Gamification > Levels.
- Select the name of the level to assign a badge. You can re-name the level, and assign a level badge to this level.
- Enter the number of points for the level.
- Select Enable to make the badge active.
- Save to finish.
The following screenshot shows the list of levels, with custom names.