Add legacy Instructor-Led Training (ILT) modules to courses. Includes assigning course capacity, location, session time and date, waitlisting, and sending messages to attendees.
Instructor-led training modules are available to all customers.
Webinar integrations are available depending on your LearnUpon plan.
As a module type, legacy ILTs cover both classroom training (in a shared physical space), and also online training using a 3rd party software like Zoom, GoTo, WebEx, Adobe Connect and MS Teams.
Note: legacy ILTs are different from the training and sessions you can create with ILT Center. For the next generation of instructor-led training (ILT) features see ILT Center: overview and features.
Before creating legacy ILT modules and sessions:
- turn on ILT modules in your portal. See Instructor Led Training (ILT): overview to get started
- for webinars, set up the 3rd party webinar provider. See Add webinar tools
- for in-person classes, add location information about venues. See ILT: set locations for instructor-led training sessions
Add a legacy ILT session to a course
Legacy ILTs are a module type, so you add them the same way you add other modules.
- Navigate to Courses > your course name.
- Select Content from the secondary navigation.
- Select Add ILT Session from the Add New Content card.
- For a webinar (rather than classroom training in a shared physical setting) select This session is a webinar to open Webinar Settings. See Add a webinar instructions which follow.
- Set the ILT session options:
- Title: the name of the ILT session, which is visible to learners in LearnUpon, and in (optional) iCal attachments
- Starting: start time according to the timezone set for the session
- Ending: end time, according to the timezone set for the session
- Capacity: the maximum number of learners allowed to enroll in this session
- Instructor: defaults to course owner, but you can change to any course instructor assigned to the course
- Location: optionally assign a location to this event
- Timezone: set for the live session, rather than the time learners log in to take part
- Optionally, you can also include a description for this session.
- Select Save to finish.
The following screenshot shows ILT Session Details.
Add a webinar
You need to set up the webinar provider before creating an ILT. See Add webinar tools for the list of integrations available.
With an integration set up, the option This session is a webinar in ILT Session details opens the Webinar Settings on this page.
- In Webinar Settings, enter the following information:
- Account: choose a webinar provider
- Webinar: Choose Create a New Webinar, or choose from existing webinars
- Webinar Title: For a new webinar, assign a title which appears to learners
- Webinar Password: Choose Specify to require a password for this webinar. Choose No Password if you do not require a password.
- Specify Webinar Password: If required, enter the password for this webinar
- Select Save to confirm the webinar integration for this ILT session.
The screenshot shows the Webinar Settings card for a Zoom webinar. Zoom requires you to choose Meeting (single speaker) or Webinar (multiple speakers): this option is not required for all providers.
Note: If you select an existing webinar, some integrations (such as Zoom) automatically update the ILT session Starting and Ending times, based on the webinar data. If the Starting and Ending data isn't retrieved automatically, make sure the Starting and Ending times in LearnUpon match the times in your webinar provider, accounting for timezones.
If your course has one legacy ILT session, or has multiple sessions with the enroll learners on all sessions setting enabled, waitlisting is available.
When enabled, your ILT session can accept more enrollments after reaching its capacity. The application puts additional learners on the waitlist.
The learners join the waitlist in the order they selected the session.
For Waitlist management, select one of:
- Automatic: adds learners automatically if spaces become available
- Manual: you can place them in available sessions manually
If you have learners who have joined a session waitlist, the Manage Waitlist button appears, so you can view the list.
The list shows your learners in the order they joined by default.
Contact attendees of a specific session
When your published course has enrollments, you can contact the learners enrolled in a specific session. This option is distinct from contacting all enrolled learners, or contacting learners by group.
Message Attendees opens the messaging feature within LearnUpon, and ensures the message reaches that session's attendees, even if you do not know their names, groups or other learner information.
The message appears to learners within the application, and the sent message appears in your own Messages > Sent records.
- From main navigation go to Courses > my course.
- From secondary navigation go to Content and select an ILT session.
- From ILT Session Details select Message Attendees to open a new message.
- Enter your Subject and your Message.
- Send to finish.
The following screenshot shows Message Attendees as an option for an ILT session which has enrollments.
Multiple legacy ILT sessions on one course
One course can have multiple legacy ILT sessions. You add more sessions the same way as the first session. When you add more ILT sessions to the same course, the application provides a new option to manage learner attendance.
- From main navigation go to Courses > my course.
- From the course's secondary navigation select Content.
- In Content Options, ILT Session Enrollments lets you control how many of the sessions learners need to attend to complete this course. Select one of:
- enroll learners on all sessions: Learners are enrolled on all sessions on this course. If there is no capacity on one session, learners can no longer be enrolled on this course
- learners can choose only 1 session to attend: Learners are only allowed attendance on one session in this course. Enrollments are allowed on this course provided there is at least one future session with one spot available
- learners can choose multiple sessions to attend: Learners are allowed to attend multiple sessions on this course. Enrollments are allowed on this course provided there is at least one future session with one spot available
- If you select one of the learners can choose options, there is an Allow learners to change ILT session. When enabled, learners can change their original selection.
- Save to finish.
The following screenshot shows the ILT Session enrollments dropdown.
- Instructor Led Training (ILT): overview
- ILT: set locations for instructor-led training sessions
- ILT: manage session attendance
- ILT: the learner experience
- ILTs: cancel a session